Remembering our roots
It all started June 27, 1954 with 11 people who came together in a little house right across the street on the corner of 27th Avenue and Belmont. They held the first ONC service that day, and were formally organized the next month with those 11 charter members and pastor Donald Arey. They purchased the house on Belmont with the intention of removing the house and building a larger church on the same site, but as people began to come, and the church began to grow, …as they started spilling out of the living room, across the front porch, and into the yard under the chinaberry trees for services, the plan changed. Instead of re-building on that site, they purchased a larger parcel of land – 2 and a half acres – across the street on
the corner of 27 th Avenue and Orangewood. God was doing great things growing this church and they wanted room to grow!